Monday, May 9, 2011

Something New...

“Something Old, Something New, 
Something Borrowed, Something Blue…”


How many times have we heard this saying surrounding the age-old tradition of marriage?  Too many times to count I’d say. But what if we looked at it from a different perspective? What if a new concept of this common quote could bring a victorious reminder of hope to the children of God in the face of defeat?...

Today, Something Old stands for my old, tattered way of thinking. It stands for the lies, the depression and the evil that lurked in the midnight hour, seeking to devour me.

Something New stands for the new creation I have been made in Christ. The old has passed and the new has come. There is now no more condemnation for me because I am in Christ Jesus.

Something Borrowed, once again, stands for the stinking thinking that I recently borrowed from my old, fleshly self. It stands for the feelings of inadequacy, unacceptance and inability to meet the standards of rigid rules and regulations. The past deceitfully loaned me those thoughts, neatly wrapped up in a package labeled "true" and, of course, this brings me to…

Something Blue.

Which stands for me, in this moment.

It’s been a rough few days but it hasn’t been in vein. A priceless lesson has been learned. When I borrow old thoughts from the past and apply them to my new life I find myself wearing blue--and it’s no fun. On days like today I pray for the Spirit of God to remind me that I am still something new. I am who He says I am: forgiven, accepted, loved, cherished, and in my brokenness, dear friend, I'd like to offer you the same hope.

Will you join me in choosing to leave the old thoughts behind? What do you say? Let’s relish in God’s truth and swim in his love for us. His grace is sufficient. I pray that our hearts would be acceptant of that grace. My soul is thankful that we can leave our bags behind and move forward because we are something new. 

Hopeful,

Monique Zackery


2 Corinthians 5:17-18 "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here! All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation:"


Ephesians 4:22-24 "You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness."


Romans 8:1-2 "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death."

Let's journey together. Enter your email address to subscribe & have posts sent directly to you:

Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones." - Proverbs 16:24