Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Tuesdays Unwrapped: The Gift of Marriage


The years that led to the altar were filled with mixed emotions. Some pressured us to rush. Many warned us of the heartache that comes with “I Do”. But few discussed the splendor of love between man and wife. Tales of broken dreams and nightmare pet peeves clouded our vision. Hope hung in the air, but we braced ourselves for what might possibly be a life long bondage to a former-love turned present-enemy, complete with ball and chain. Still, we pressed on.

With tummies fluttering, promises were declared before 200 witnesses. Joy was abundant, yet the fear of hardship lingered. Though marriage was sweet, its beauty was eclipsed by the residue of its unfavorable reputation and a constant anticipation of trials.

Then, just as we suspected, hardship came.

...But love remained! {What a charming surprise!}

Soon, "for worse," "through sickness," and "for poorer" became a reality that presented itself all too fast. Tears were shed, frustration was felt. But we didn't give up...

And love grew stronger.

Amidst the voices that threw insults at marriage, one voice surpassed them all, offering hope for a different kind of union, a union that stood separate from common. So we laid hold of words of wisdom that illuminated the wonder of marriage in all of its glory.

Marriage is a gift.

I’ve been far too shy to unwrap this truth in the face of those who tear down the love of their youth. {Please hear my heart when I say I genuinely mourn with those who mourn over a broken marriage.} Some days I shrink back with intimidation, wondering if it's okay to be happy. Is this allowed? Is this normal? Do I have permission? But today, in this place, in my little corner of the web, I'm mustering up the courage to do something a bit different. I'm giving myself permission. {I hope you don't mind.} I'm singing a song that’s rarely heard. We aren't perfect, and the need for grace arises daily. But in the thick of my shortcomings, my soul rejoices over the wonderful gift before me. This is the one I choose 365 times each year. He's far more than I ever dreamed of. He’s my love, my best friend, my husband, and as we like to say, my bestie, my buddy!

When the waves come crashing down, we'll face them together again. Only by the grace of God, with Christ as our solid rock, we hold onto this valuable lesson: life gets hard, but marriage doesn't have to.

Thanking God for the gift of marriage, for the love that grows deeper every day, for joy that abounds, and for the couples who have shown us this is possible...


P.S.
Today I’m linking up with one of my very, favorite bloggers, Emily Freeman. She’s the author of Grace for the Good Girl and she is actually the blogger who inspired me to start writing! With that said, she started a pretty cool idea called Tuesday’s Unwrapped. This is a time where bloggers across the web get to write about the gifts that God is currently unfolding before them. Thanks for joining me as I shared my heart about the gift of marriage!

Love ya! 

-Monique
Would you like to subscribe to this blog by email? (Click here)

12 comments:

  1. Um, I came here to read your stuff, but right now, I'm kinda distracted by all your beautiful photography. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thank you tammy. Thank you for stopping by. :) You're a sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Blog. Such wonderful inspiration thanks so much, I will go through the rest of your blog. New blogger here, learning through my mistakes. Hoping to revamp and get this blogging down. Looking for fellow bloggers who are looking for a support group for newbies like me. Stop by my blog and participate in the "Big Blog Experiment".
    http://www.bringbackmadeinusa.com/2011/11/big-blog-experiment-day-1-results.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go, Monique! Be bold about loving the gift of your marriage. It inspired me! It will inspire others, too!

    By His Grace,
    Lisa

    www.moretobe.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Monique what a beautiful post! I have been both in a place where I have mourned the state of my marriage and also the complete opposite end of the spectrum where I have just been so incredibly blessed by its goodness to me. You are right...there are so many who "tear down the love of their youth"....may we do our best to avoid being that type of wife at all costs! May God truly bless you and your marriage today. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. You go, girl! Be bold about your beautiful marriage and bring glory to God who makes us capable of such incredible love! It is such an encouragement and inspiration in a world that devalues marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so precious! It's so nice to meet you. Your blog is lovely!

    http://ordinaryinspirations.blogspot.com/2011/11/parenting-refines-parent.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful, Monique. A sweet reminder of the gift we have in marriage and love. It's such a blessing. I'm definitely subscribing to your blog to keep up with you and am heading over to Emily's to check her out too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, thank you so much, ladies, for stopping by, and offering words of encouragement.

    Allison, welcome to the blogging world! I'll be sure to stop by!

    Lisa, thanks so much for encouraging me. So glad this inspired! Hallelujah!

    Jan, I'm right there with ya! Praying blessings over your marriage today too!

    JamieJoy, Amen! Thanks for stopping by again. :) xoxo

    Traci, so nice to meet you too! And thank you!

    Fawn, You inspired me to be open about my joy! I've joined the happy wives club! I'm still head over heels for my hubby! :) Yes, check out Emily. She's wonderful.

    Ladies, I'll be stopping by each of your blogs within the next 24 hours. Looking forward to seeing you again! -Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful tribute to the JOY of marriage. I agree that so often we spend so much time focusing on the difficulty of marriage that we don't wonder at the miracle of love so deep and satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amen, Shannon. That's exactly it! I truly wish more couples would talk about the joys of it all. Not that we should "Hollywoodize" it. But truly talk about the joys that can come from the trials and the rewards of dying to our selfishness to choose our spouse each day with service and love and grace. Other couples need to know that it's possible. :) I'm thankful that you stopped by today. You're a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad to visit your blog for the first time. Your post on the gift of marriage is beautiful. I'm so happy to hear about your beautiful love with your husband! Keep reflecting His image for God's glory! God bless!

    ReplyDelete

"Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones." - Proverbs 16:24